The Industrial Center of Large-Sized Foldable Structures has its own ground experimental facilities which enable it to perform the whole cycle of ground qualification tests of already assembled satellites as well as their components and parts.
Weightlessness simulation test benches help simulate and monitor the deployment of satellites’ large foldable mechanical systems, as well as control their geometry using advanced measurement instruments.
With the help of the state-of-the-art facilities and test equipment the Industrial Center performs the following types of mechanical testing:
- vibration (sinusoidal and random vibration):
- force from 1.5 up to 25 tonnes;
- simultaneous registration of up to 256 channels;
- mass of test item – up to 8 tonnes;
- acoustic (in a reverberation acoustic chamber):
- chamber volume – 664 m3,
- sound pressure level – up to 154 dB;
- automatic digital control system – 6 control microphones;
- simultaneous registration of up to 128 channels;
- transportation vibration (sinusoidal and random vibration, multiple shakes in three directions):
- all types of transportation loads (that satellites are exposed to when shipped by aircraft, trains and trucks);
- mass of test item – up to 8 tonnes, maximum allowable length – 8 meters;
- registration of up to 128 vibration measurement channels by the digital recording system;
- single and multiple shocks;
- use of pyrotechnic devices, mechanical and electrodynamic test benches and a free falling platform test bench where the acceleration levels can reach 5000 g;
- servohydraulic test bench;
- automatic digital control system enabling to apply force along multiple axes simultaneously;
- nominal force of hydraulic cylinders – from 0.5 to 16 tonnes;
- load bearing wall 12 meters high;
- measurement of mechanical systems’ modal characteristics:
- frequency range from 0.01 to 5000 Hz;
- contact and non-contact (laser) measuring systems.
Thermal and vacuum test facilities incorporate chambers having a volume of 600 m3, 400 m3, 120 m3, 60 m3. This equipment allows carrying out the following types of tests:
- thermal balance, electrotermal and vacuum;
- thermal cycling;
- thermal vacuum tests with the use of a solar simulator;
- firing testing of xenon propulsion engines.